Important news for shareholders and potential investors in Uponor Oyj ( HEL:UPONOR ): The dividend payment of €0.25 per share will be distributed to shareholders on 27 March 2019, and the stock will begin trading ex-dividend at an earlier date, 19 March 2019. Is this future income stream a compelling catalyst for dividend investors to think about the stock as an investment today? Let’s take a look at Uponor Oyj’s most recent financial data to examine its dividend characteristics in more detail.
5 checks you should do on a dividend stock
When assessing a stock as a potential addition to my dividend Portfolio, I look at these five areas:
- Does it pay an annual yield higher than 75% of dividend payers?
- Has it paid dividend every year without dramatically reducing payout in the past?
- Has the amount of dividend per share grown over the past?
- Is its earnings sufficient to payout dividend at the current rate?
- Will the company be able to keep paying dividend based on the future earnings growth?
Does Uponor Oyj pass our checks?
The current trailing twelve-month payout ratio for the stock is 71%, meaning the dividend is sufficiently covered by earnings. In the near future, analysts are predicting a payout ratio of 64% which, assuming the share price stays the same, leads to a dividend yield of 5.6%. Moreover, EPS should increase to €0.84.
When thinking about whether a dividend is sustainable, another factor to consider is the cash flow . A business with strong cash flow can sustain a higher divided payout ratio than a company with weak cash flow.
If there is one thing that you want to be reliable in your life, it’s dividend stocks and their constant income stream. Not only have dividend payouts from Uponor Oyj fallen over the past 10 years, it has also been highly volatile during this time, with drops of over 25% in some years. These characteristics do not bode well for income investors seeking reliable stream of dividends.
Compared to its peers, Uponor Oyj produces a yield of 4.9%, which is high for Building stocks but still below the market’s top dividend payers.
Taking all the above into account, Uponor Oyj is a complicated pick for dividend investors given that there are a couple of positive things about it as well as negative. However, if you are not strictly just a dividend investor, the stock could still offer some interesting investment opportunities. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, you should always research extensively before deciding whether or not a stock is an appropriate investment for you. I always recommend analysing the company’s fundamentals and underlying business before making an investment decision. I’ve put together three important aspects you should further research:
- Future Outlook : What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for UPONOR’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for UPONOR’s outlook.
- Valuation : What is UPONOR worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether UPONOR is currently mispriced by the market.
- Dividend Rockstars : Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here .
We aim to bring you long-term focused research analysis driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis may not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements or qualitative material.
If you spot an error that warrants correction, please contact the editor at email@example.com . This article by Simply Wall St is general in nature. It does not constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any stock, and does not take account of your objectives, or your financial situation. Simply Wall St has no position in the stocks mentioned. Thank you for reading.