Earnings season has finally officially started. This week, however, is a relatively light one with just over 180 companies set to report.
Because of the slower pace, savvy investors can take the time to really dig into some of the earnings reports and conference calls.
Wall Street remains nervous about an imminent recession. Are companies seeing a slowdown right now? Is the consumer holding up?
This week, investors can go straight to the heart of some of the most prominent companies for answers in a host of industries including leisure, transportation, construction and building, lending and manufacturing.
Are the recession worries over blown?
Investors can get clues from these five earnings reports.
5 Stocks to Watch for Recession Clues
1. Kansas City Southern KSU is coming off a beat and the shares have bounced off the 2018 lows. Still, it hasn’t broken out to multi-year highs like its railroad peers. It’s also the only US railroad with rail lines inside Mexico. That can be a positive, or a negative, depending on geo-political issues at any particular time.
2. United Rentals URI is the largest rental equipment company in North America. It has it’s finger on the pulse of the construction industry especially around big projects like hotels, casinos and government buildings. Can it regain its previous highs?
3. Bank OZK OZK has been loaning for big apartment and condo projects around the United States. If you want to know what is happening with the urban housing markets, this is the one to watch.
4. Honeywell HON has a great chart with just one miss in the last 5 years. Shares took a dive to end 2018 but it looks like it was a big buying opportunity as they are testing the former highs. Will the company be bullish about 2019?
5. Pool Corp. POOL is the largest distributor of swimming pools and outdoor products in the world. When consumers feel good, they put in a pool and buy new patio furniture. The company is coming off a miss last quarter but the shares have rebounded. Will they be the first to warn of a slowdown?\
Radical New Technology Creates $12.3 Trillion Opportunity
Imagine buying Microsoft stock in the early days of personal computers… or Motorola after it released the world’s first cell phone. These technologies changed our lives and created massive profits for investors.
Today, we’re on the brink of the next quantum leap in technology. 7 innovative companies are leading this “4th Industrial Revolution” - and early investors stand to earn the biggest profits.
See the 7 breakthrough stocks now>>
Is your investment advisor fumbling your financial future?
See how you can more effectively safeguard your retirement with a new Special Report, “4 Warning Signs Your Investment Advisor Might Be Sabotaging Your Financial Future.” Click to get your free report.
Kansas City Southern (KSU) : Free Stock Analysis Report
United Rentals, Inc. (URI) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Honeywell International Inc. (HON) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Pool Corporation (POOL) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Bank OZK (OZK) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research