U.S. Markets closed

Nigeria attack: At least 30 killed in triple suicide bombing

Zamira Rahim

At least 30 people have been killed in a triple suicide bombing in Nigeria , according to the country’s emergency services.

The attackers detonated their explosives in Konduga, a village in Borno state, on Sunday night.

They targeted residents who were watching a football match on a large screen, Bulama Kalli, the village head, said.

Several survivors were taken to hospital in Maiduguri, Borno state’s capital, which is 25km from the village.

Konduga, Borno state and northern Nigeria have repeatedly been attacked by Boko Haram militants, who kill in the hope of establishing an Islamist state in the West African nation.

There has been no claim or responsibility for the bombing, which left dozens wounded.

“We have over 40 people injured,” Usman Kachalla, head of operations at the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), said according to the AFP news agency.

He said emergency responders had been unable to reach the site quickly, which contributed to the high number of fatalities.

“Lack of an appropriate health facility to handle such huge emergency situation and the delay in obtaining security clearance to enable us deploy from Maiduguri in good time led to the high death toll,” Mr Kachalla said.

In a similar attack three female suicide bombers detonated explosives at a fish market in Konduga in February 2018, killing at least 20 people.

In 2014 at least 44 worshippers were killed in a Boko Haram attack on a mosque in the village.

The terrorist group have increasingly used women and younger people as bombers in the attacks, which have killed hundreds of thousands and displaced millions more.

Additional reporting by agencies