If you are interested in cashing in on NewMarket Corporation’s ( NYSE:NEU ) upcoming dividend of US$1.75 per share, you only have 4 days left to buy the shares before its ex-dividend date, 14 September 2018, in time for dividends payable on the 01 October 2018. Investors looking for higher income-generating stocks to add to their portfolio should keep reading, as I examine NewMarket’s latest financial data to analyse its dividend characteristics.
5 checks you should do on a dividend stock
Whenever I am looking at a potential dividend stock investment, I always check these five metrics:
- Does it pay an annual yield higher than 75% of dividend payers?
- Has it paid dividend every year without dramatically reducing payout in the past?
- Has the amount of dividend per share grown over the past?
- Is is able to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Will it be able to continue to payout at the current rate in the future?
How does NewMarket fare?
The company currently pays out 46.5% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, meaning the dividend is sufficiently covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward.
When assessing the forecast sustainability of a dividend it is also worth considering the cash flow of the business . A business with strong cash flow can sustain a higher divided payout ratio than a company with weak cash flow.
If there’s one type of stock you want to be reliable, it’s dividend stocks and their stable income-generating ability. NEU has increased its DPS from $0.80 to $7 in the past 10 years. It has also been paying out dividend consistently during this time, as you’d expect for a company increasing its dividend levels. This is an impressive feat, which makes NEU a true dividend rockstar.
Relative to peers, NewMarket generates a yield of 1.8%, which is on the low-side for Chemicals stocks.
With this in mind, I definitely rank NewMarket as a strong dividend stock, and makes it worth further research for anyone who likes steady income generation from their portfolio. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I recommend taking sufficient time to understand its core business and determine whether the company and its investment properties suit your overall goals. There are three pertinent aspects you should further research:
- Future Outlook : What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for NEU’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for NEU’s outlook.
- Valuation : What is NEU worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether NEU is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars : Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here .
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com .