Attention dividend hunters! Sound Financial Bancorp Inc ( NASDAQ:SFBC ) will be distributing its dividend of US$0.14 per share on the 21 November 2018, and will start trading ex-dividend in 4 days time on the 06 November 2018. Is this future income a persuasive enough catalyst for investors to think about Sound Financial Bancorp as an investment today? Below, I’m going to look at the latest data and analyze the stock and its dividend property in further detail.
Here’s how I find good dividend stocks
When assessing a stock as a potential addition to my dividend Portfolio, I look at these five areas:
- Does it pay an annual yield higher than 75% of dividend payers?
- Does it consistently pay out dividends without missing a payment of significantly cutting payout?
- Has dividend per share amount increased over the past?
- Does earnings amply cover its dividend payments?
- Based on future earnings growth, will it be able to continue to payout dividend at the current rate?
Does Sound Financial Bancorp pass our checks?
The current trailing twelve-month payout ratio for the stock is 19%, meaning the dividend is sufficiently covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward.
When considering the sustainability of dividends, it is also worth checking the cash flow of a company . A business with strong cash flow can sustain a higher divided payout ratio than a company with weak cash flow.
If there is one thing that you want to be reliable in your life, it’s dividend stocks and their constant income stream. Whilst its per-share payments have increased during the past 10 years, there has been some hiccups. Investors have seen reductions in the dividend per share in the past, although, it has picked up again.
In terms of its peers, Sound Financial Bancorp produces a yield of 1.6%, which is on the low-side for Banks stocks.
Taking all the above into account, Sound Financial Bancorp is a complicated pick for dividend investors given that there are a couple of positive things about it as well as negative. But if you are not exclusively a dividend investor, the stock could still be an interesting investment opportunity. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, you should always research extensively before deciding whether or not a stock is an appropriate investment for you. I always recommend analysing the company’s fundamentals and underlying business before making an investment decision. There are three key aspects you should further examine:
- Future Outlook : What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for SFBC’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for SFBC’s outlook.
- Valuation : What is SFBC worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether SFBC is currently mispriced by the market.
- Dividend Rockstars : Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here .
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com .